Monday, March 22, 2010

PODG: Ch. 14

"You are mad, I tell you- mad to imagine that I would raise a finger to help you, mad to make this monstrous confession. I will have nothing to do with this matter, whatever it is" (172).

When Basil was concerned for Dorian's welfare and tried to tell him he should not "want people to talk of [him] as something vile and degraded" (153), Dorian should have considered this and at least attempted to mend his ruined relationships. As a result of not doing so, Dorian is faced with a dilemma when Alan refuses to help him: "Of course I refuse. I will have absolutely nothing to do with it. I don't care what shame comes on you. You deserve it all. I should not be sorry to see you disgraced" (173). Alan's refusal is completely understandable. If a friend wrongs another friend with no remorse, why should that friend expect anything in return? Dorian's interaction with Alan exemplifies the result of a broken friendship. Dorian's first attempt at getting Alan to reconsider his refusal is to convince Alan of the supposed suffering he went through: "You don't know what he had made me suffer. [...] Alan, I entreat you. Think of the position I am in. Just before you came I almost fainted with terror" (174). Apparently, almost fainting in terror is considered suffering. If Dorian had no problem stabbing Basil, then he should not be acting like a baby about "almost faint[ing] with terror" (174). Dorian's second and final attempt to get Alan to agree is by threatening him, which causes Alan to unwillingly agree to Dorian's wishes. If Dorian mended his relationship with Alan, then this conversation would have gone smoothly. Unfortunately, since Dorian ended up getting his way, it does not matter.


"I have a letter all written already. Here it is. You see the address. If you don't help me, I must send it. [...] You know what the result will be. But you are going to help me. It is impossible for you to refuse now" (175).

Alan is one of Dorian's many experiments, just like Dorian was to Lord Henry. Lord Henry knew Dorian, his experiment, very well, or in at least all the aspects of Dorian that interested him. Likewise, Dorian knows Alan, one of his experiments, very well. With the carefree and indifferent attitude Lord Henry instilled in Dorian, Dorian is taking advantage of his experiment's weakness and using it to benefit himself. It is possible that Dorian has been dominating all his friends with this same power, causing them to despise the sight of him. When Basil confronts Dorian about his evil deeds, Dorian's response may hint to his secret behind dominating his friends: "You ask me why Berwick leaves a room when I enter it. It is because I know everything about his life, not because he knows everything about mine" (155). If a devious person like Dorian knows everything about another person, then that person can be ruined within moments. Dorian is an extremely stubborn person and usually gets his way. When Alan puts his foot down and refuses to give in to Dorian's plea, Dorian responds in hostility: "You treated me as no man has ever dared treat me- no living man, at any rate. I bore it all. Now it is time for me to dictate terms" (174). Dorian likes the power he holds over people, which is probably why he does not care if they talk ill of him. If they are under him, then they are indifferent to him.

No comments: