Saturday, November 27, 2010

Final Ideal Society

I did not trade my cards with anybody, but I have valid reasons. My goal was to have a balanced society. I chose Einstein, Beyonce, Martin Luther King, Jr., Mother Theresa, and Lieutenant Horatio Caine from CSI: Miami. As I spoke to some of my classmates, I noticed a common trend in the choices that were picked. Many students chose Einstein or Martin Luther King, Jr. as their societies' scholars and leaders, and a saintly figure, such as Gandhi or Mother Theresa. I found that others and I had similar goals in mind when deciding our societies, so I did not see a need to trade any of my people. However, I was offered a Kanye West card, which I refused. I believe Beyonce is the better choice because Kanye West could potentially introduce inappropriate ideas to my society's youth. I do not believe that he would be a good influence, which is why I was satisfied with the entertainer I had chosen. A flaw my society might have is having too much of a focus on structure and service. Beyonce is the only person I chose to promote a sociable society, but not all people may like what she has to offer. She represents one style of music and fashion that I would prefer, but not what others might like. I think my society also lacks a leader in extracurricular activities. There is nobody in my society, who promotes athletics or other activities besides service. Another flaw my society has is the lack of a person or player who connects the citizens together, such as a common enemy or a sports team. It is important for society to at least agree on one thing or else it might cause a division in its citizens. I believe my society contains the basic qualities I would like to be represented. I chose people who I thought not only reflected what should be most valued in a society, but also reflected concepts that are most important to me.

No comments: